Not Sure What To Make For Dinner? Get This FREE Easy Recipes E-book!


Not sure what to cook for dinner? Grab our FREE Easy Recipes E-book and you will have our easy recipes on your computer, so that you can use them at any time! When you get the e-book, you will also receive our free recipe updates!


Healthy Eating: How To Start Adding More Healthy Foods To Your Diet



With the summer coming, everyone wants to lose weight to look great in the summer. The good news is that summer is a great time to add more healthy foods to your diet. Summer is a good time for healthy eating because there are tons of great fruits and vegetables available. So it is not hard to add a simple but tasty salad to your dinner.

Here are three tips to help you with adding more healthy foods to your diet this summer:

1. Everything In Moderation

I am not a fan of diets - no carbs, no meats, no bacon - all of those are way too restrictive for me. To me, healthy eating does not mean giving anything up. Rather, it means eating everything, but eating smaller portions.

Eating a pound of bacon or a whole cake in one sitting is not healthy. However, eating a BLT once a month, or enjoying a slice of cake once a week will help you eating healthy for the rest of the week.

I believe in the 80/20 rule - 80% of the time you should eat healthy. Then, the other 20% of the time you can splurge.

2. Add A Vegetable To Every Dinner

Are you so tired sometimes, that you don’t even make dinner, forget making a vegetable to serve for dinner? Thing is, when you make it a rule to serve (and eat!) at least one vegetable (preferably more) with dinner, you are adding more healthy foods to your diet! By the way, potatoes don’t count as a vegetable :)

If you are serving rice and stir-fried beef for dinner, how about adding a broccoli stir fry to serve with it? This is a great vegetable to serve with beef and rice, and you will really enjoy it.

3. Plan Your Healthy Meals In Advance

Nothing is worse than planning to make something healthy, and then realize at the last moment that you are missing one ingredient. When you plan your meals in advance, and create a shopping list based on your healthy meals, you will buy everything you need in advance. That way you will always have all of your ingredients when you are cooking your healthy foods.

There is no magic to healthy eating - when you create a healthy eating plan and stick to it, you can eat more healthy foods and still enjoy some of your favorites once in a while.

Share your healthy eating tips in the comments!



May 14th, 2010
Tags:

  1. Shea M.
    May 14th, 2010 at 12:00

    4. (expanding on number 3) Shop the OUTSIDE of the supermarket. You can get 95% of what you need on the outside of the store (produce, meat, dairy, even bakery). If you don’t BUY the junk, you won’t EAT the junk! :)